After celebrating the first day of Spring this weekend, many of us are ready to run and frolic outside with our puppies – showing them what being outside is really about without the snow and cold temperatures. With Spring comes the budding of trees, fresh grass and growth of plants that could be poisonous to your pup!
We’d all like to think that our dogs are smart enough to not eat random plants, twigs and even feces out of the yard but more than one of us has found that is just not the case. Dogs are curious – especially little puppies experiencing the world for the first time. Puppies investigate with their senses, mainly their sense of smell and taste. So when you’re doing your outside work this spring, keep an eye out for these poisonous plants!
The springtime plants that can result in gastrointestinal problems in your puppy include:
- Calla lily
The following plants are considered very toxic and can result in severe illness or even death for your puppy:
- Tiger Lily
- Easter Lily
- Day lily
- Lily of the Valley
- Morning Glory
- Death Camas
Sometimes when a dog eats something that does not agree with their stomach, they will vomit and effectively remove most of the poison from their system. With some plants, however, this may not be enough to relieve their symptoms.
If you suspect your dog has ingested a poisonous plant, call your vet immediately for an appointment. If you are not sure of the name of the plant, take it in with you to the vet as this will help to treat your puppy accordingly.
Spring is meant to be spent outside in the sun and fresh, clean air. Keep everyone safe, including your pup, by removing these toxic plants so springtime is carefree and fun to enjoy for the whole family!